This page provides details about the most recent Support Library package releases. For earlier releases, see the Support Library Revisions Archive.
Revision 28.0.0 Beta 1
This beta release of the Support Library is considered feature-complete and its public API surface is stable, barring any critical issues that may arise. While this release is safe to use in production, it may still contain bugs. Please report any issues to the public issue tracker.
- GestureSelectionHelper eating events on non-selectable items
- Slider slices can have duplicated thumb icon when slider value is being updated
- IconCompat broke TYPE_URI icons
- Crash with Preferences using Seekbar
- Crash in Slice.toString()
- OffsettingListUpdateCallback.onMoved() calls mCallback.onRemoved() instead of mCallback.onMoved() (Issue 110711937)
- AsyncListDiffer doesn't call getChangePayload (AOSP issue 73961809)
- Fragment ViewModel's onCleared not called (AOSP issue 74139250)
- RecyclerView.setRecycledViewPool() increases attachCount even when adapter is null
- RecyclerView NPE if SmoothScroller.onStop calling stop() or startSmoothScroller()
- Fragment Replacement transaction causes previous fragment to flicker after new fragment is shown (AOSP issue 74051124)
- Loader callback breaking change in 27.1.0 (AOSP issue 74135998)
- RTL layout does not work when the vertical grid view set column >1
- onLoadFinished called multiple times in ViewPager with FragmentPagerAdapter
- AsyncListDiffer should dispatch updates after setting current list (AOSP issue 74003309)
- ShareActionProvider throws ClassCastException in 27.1.0
- Fragment lifecycle change with ViewPager (AOSP issue 73976255)
Revision 28.0.0 Alpha 1
Note: 28.0.0-alpha1 is a pre-release version to support the Android P developer preview. Its API surface is subject to change, and it does not necessarily include features or bug fixes from the latest stable versions of Support Library. For details on the P developer preview, see the release notes.
- As previously noted in the
Android KTX announcement, we are continuing to adopt the
androidxpackage prefix across our libraries. A selection of brand-new libraries, including
recyclerview-selection, are starting out in this new package. We hope the division between
androidx.*makes it more obvious which APIs are bundled with the platform, and which are static libraries for app developers that work across different versions of Android.
- We have split parts of support-core-ui, support-core-utils, and
support-compat into smaller libraries. This change will help us detangle support
library dependencies in the future. We now have the following new libraries:
- asynclayoutinflater (from support-core-ui)
- collections (from support-compat)
- coordinatorlayout (from design)
- cursoradapter (from support-core-ui)
- customview (from support-core-ui)
- documentfile (from support-core-utils)
- drawerlayout (from support-core-ui)
- interpolator (from support-core-ui)
- loader (from support-fragments and core-utils)
- localbroadcastmanager (from support-core-utils)
- print (from support-core-utils)
- slidingpanelayout (from support-core-ui)
- swiperefreshlayout (from support-core-ui)
- viewpager (from support-core-ui)
recyclerview-selectionprovides item selection support for
RecyclerView. The package provides:
- Support for creating, modifying, inspecting, and monitoring changes to a set of selected items in a RecyclerView list.
- Support for intuitive multi-selection actions:
- Touch-driven selection allows users to select ranges of items with an intuitive long-press-and-drag gesture.
- Mouse-driven band selection allows users to a select block of items in a RecyclerView list using traditional mouse pointer band/lasso actions.
- Support for touch-centric devices, including phone and touch-enabled laptop form-factors, as well as pointer-centric devices.
- HEIF Writer provides support for writing HEIF-format still images.
- Design Library
- We’ve introduced a new application theme,
Theme.MaterialComponents, with new attributes and updated styles for components.
- We’ve added the following components:
- We’ve introduced a new application theme,
- Slices provides a framework for apps to embed templated content from
- slices-builders contains methods to build content in a template format.
- slices-view contain methods to present that content.
- Browser actions provides a protocol for app developers to launch a consistent (but customizable) context menu for URLs. This feature is dependent on the presence of a browser app (such as Chrome, where this feature is still under development) that implements support for browser actions.
getSystemServiceName()allow system service lookups by type on all API levels.
- Fragment ViewModel's onCleared not called (AOSP issue 74139250)
- onLoadFinished() called multiple times in ViewPager with FragmentPagerAdapter (AOSP issue 74182171)
- RecyclerView's LinearLayoutManager's smoothScrollToPosition() displays erratic (back and forth) movement under certain circumstances (AOSP issue 71567765)
Revision 27.1.0 Release
- The underlying implementation of Loaders has been rewritten to use Lifecycle. While the API
remains unchanged, there are a number of behavior changes:
destroyLoader()can now only be called on the main thread.
- A Loader's
onStopLoading()are now called when the containing FragmentActivity/Fragment is started and stopped, respectively.
onLoadFinished()will only be called between
onStop. As a result, Fragment transactions can now safely be done in
- The FragmentController methods related to Loaders are now deprecated.
getDialog()will now be non-null up until
onDestroyView(), instead of becoming null in
dismiss(). You can now determine if the Dialog was manually dismissed in
onStop()by checking if
AsyncListDiffer) make it easier to compute list diffs on a background thread. These can help your RecyclerView animate content changes automatically, with minimal work on the UI thread. They use
DiffUtilunder the hood.
SortedList.ReplaceAllenables updating all data in a SortedList, which runs all appropriate animations for inserts, removals, changes, and moves (moves are treated as removals and inserts).
- FragmentActivity and Fragment now implement
ViewModelStoreOwnerand can now be used with the
ViewModelProviderconstructors as an alternative to using
- Fragments now have
requireFragmentManager()methods, which return a
NonNullobject of the equivalent get methods or throw an
@NonNullcompat version of
findViewById()has been added to
ViewCompat, which throw an
IllegalArgumentExceptionwhen the target cannot be found.
LoaderCallbacksmethods now have the appropriate
getExternalMediaDirs()on API 21 and higher devices via the new
- Fragment that initializes Loader in onCreate has broken lifecycle inside ViewPager
- LoaderManager throws IllegalStateException in onLoadFinished
- LoaderViewModel does not clear its Loaders in onCleared
- Class file for android.arch.lifecycle.ViewModelStoreOwner not found
- DialogFragment onDismiss not called immediately after dismiss()
- Country flag emoji don't work on release keys devices when using downloadable fonts
- Preferences library uses attributes that will not work on old versions of Android
- MediaCompat's testlib artifact types are incorrectly documented (AOSP issue 71559905)
- Google Sans crash in TypefaceCompatUtil
- Expose ArraySet constructor that takes in Collection.
- updateApi removes .ignore files that should be preserved
- redundant MainFragments created in BrowseFragment
- Remove use of reflection from CarRecyclerView
- java.lang.IllegalStateException at FragmentManagerImpl.checkStateLoss
- Got (undocumented) java.lang.SecurityException when using android.support.v4.content.PermissionChecker.checkSelfPermission
- RecyclerView IndexOutOfBoundsException because State.mPreviousLayoutItemCount not cleared in setAdapter (AOSP issue 37657125)
- Fragment that initializes Loader in onCreate has broken lifecycle inside ViewPager (AOSP issue 34831613)
- FragmentManagerImpl.execSingleAction crashes
Revision 27.0.2 Release
IllegalStateException: Fragment has not been attached yet.
- Unable to dismiss 'Cast' icon pop-up by tapping anywhere on the screen.
Revision 27.0.1 Release
- LifecycleRegistry is in the wrong state after
startActivityForResult()is called. (Issue 65665621)
- The color of disabled buttons is too light on older API levels.
- After a user scrolls, they cannot click on an item in a
RecyclerView. (AOSP issue 66996774)
- In Talkback, clicking on more options does not cause the system to announce the new popup or to add focus to the new options.
Revision 27.0.0 Release
Fragmentcan use support library versions of
Transitionfor fragment transitions, including shared-element transitions.
- Content paging library (
android.support.content.ContentPager) provides support for paging content exposed via a
ContentProvider. Use of this library allows a client to avoid expensive interprocess "cursor window swaps" on the UI thread, providing a compatibility library for the Android 8.0 feature.
ViewCompatnow adds wrappers for autofill methods, including
gets new features and polish, and loses some deprecated classes, such as:
Pickernow can use different separators between each column using the
DiffCallbackhas been added to allow
ArrayObjectAdapterto take advantage of the output provided by
- Infrastructure added to support media players with variable controls, adding optional controls for fast-forward, repeat, shuffle, next, previous, and rewind.
- Removal of
- For testing, the PollingCheck utility is ported from AOSP CTS. It polls for a condition to happen within a timeout window.
- Infrastructure added to support runtime permissions on Instant Apps for
Android 5.0, using
- Trusted custom tabs now supported, along with the ability to define a relationship between an application and an origin URI.
- Android Wear ambient mode support is simplified with the use of the AmbientMode headless fragment, which also makes supporting ambient mode compatible with the use of Architecture Components.
- The Wear team seeks developer feedback around this significant change. For more information, see the Android Wear Release Notes.
- Some deprecated classes removed as we move away from old pre-V14 APIs,
- Migrated wear manifest metadata constants are all now available via
- Ambient mode support is now available for all Activities, not just
WearableActivity. For more information, see the
RoundedDrawablenow supports XML inflation.
- Application crashes with support library 27 and downloadable font
- Downloadable fonts not working for new projects created after updating SDK
- SpeechRecognizer API is broken in latest upgrade
- Fragment-related crash during draw after removing animated View
- support-leanback-demos media playback are all broken
- Android Support Library is adding <meta-data> into manifest
- FontResourcesParserCompat should understand android: attrs
- Leanback Glue does not support Pause input key
- Unresolved symbol in IDE when multiple packages share the same artifact id.
- Null Pointer Exception in CarExtender
- Wrong shuffle / repeat mode set PlaybackState after creating MediaController
- Library cluster default posters are running onto next cluster while navigating
- Recommendation card metadata is cut off
- IllegalArgumentException at RecyclerView.attachViewToParent()
- ClassNotFoundException when unmarshalling SavedState (AOSP issue 37133281)
- Focus gets stuck in RecyclerView
- Fix ANR in Leanback LayoutManager
Revision 26.1.0 Release
This is a special release to integrate the Support Library with Lifecycles from Architecture Components. If you are not using the Lifecycles library, you don’t need to update from 26.0.2. For more information, see the Architecture Components release notes.
FragmentActivity(the base class for
AppCompatActivity) now implement the
LifecycleOwnerinterface from Architecture Components.
Revision 26.0.2 Release
- Menu icons are flattened on Support Library 26.0.0
GuidedAction.multilineDescriptiondoesn't work properly with Leanback
Revision 26.0.1 Release
- FontCompat 26.0.0 crashes on O-MR1 devices
- 26.0.0 Design Support Library should not include multidex support (issue 63999442))
- AppBarLayout now has 300px of left padding since 26.0.0
- PlaybackTransportControl navigation is broken
- Fragment.onCreateView is called sometime before onCreate finishes
- android.os.BadParcelableException: ClassNotFoundException when unmarshalling: android.support.v4.media.MediaMetadataCompat
Revision 26.0.0 Release
Important: The support libraries are now available through Google's Maven repository. You do not need to download the support repository from the SDK Manager. For more information, see Support Library Setup.
- The minimum SDK version has been increased to 14. As a result, many APIs that existed only for compatibility with pre-14 API levels have been deprecated. Clients of these APIs should migrate to their framework equivalents as noted in the reference page for each deprecated API.
- The Wear UI Library contains classes that help you implement patterns and layouts that work on Wear devices. For more information, see Using the Wear UI Library.
- The Percent Support
module has been deprecated. Clients of this module should migrate to the
ConstraintLayoutwidget, which is provided as a separate artifact in SDK Manager.
android.support.v7.app.NotificationCompatand its containing classes has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release:
v7.app.NotificationCompat.Builder. Functionality that previously relied on using the v7 AppCompat Builder has now been folded into the v4 Compat Builder.
DecoratedCustomViewStylehas moved to the
DecoratedMediaCustomViewStyleare now part of the media-compat library and can be found in the android.support.v4.media.app package.
fastScrollEnabledboolean flag for
RecyclerView. If enabled,
fastScrollVerticalTrackDrawablemust be set.
- Infinite loop in RecyclerView.toString()
- ResourceNotFoundException running Kotlin project on API 16 AVD after upgrading to Canary 6
- java.lang.AssertionError in design view with support library 26.0.0-beta2
- Android Studio layout preview broken for Support Library widgets
- Preference.setSingleLineTitle() is ignored if the Preference was not created with attributes
- DAC "Since" annotations are wrong for 25.3.0 / 25.4.0 revisions of Support Library
- ResourcesCompat.getFont() throws exception
- Toolbar title not in bold font
- Auto sizing with maxLines produces unexpected results
- NullPointerException in TextView.checkForRelayout()
- AppCompatTextViewAutoSizeHelper.setRawTextSize() calls requestLayout() during layout
- EmojiAppCompatTextView crashes
- Autosize TextView does not adjust automatically when text is changed
- Screen corruption in Instacart
- UnsupportedOperationException in MenuItemCompat
- NotificationCompat doesn't fully extract actions on API 24 or higher
- CoordinatorLayout anchoring problems on layout updates