We are rolling out a new package structure to make it clearer which packages
are bundled with the Android operating system, and which are packaged with
your app's APK. Going forward, the
android.* package hierarchy will be
reserved for Android packages that ship with the operating system; other
packages will be issued in the new
androidx.* package hiearchy.
Existing packages are being refactored to use the new hierarchy. Historical
artifacts—those versioned 27 and earlier, and packaged as
remain available on Google Maven; however, all new development
will occur in the new
androidx.*-packaged artifacts versioned starting from
The new artifacts will follow Semantic Versioning,
and will update independently, instead of all at once. Following this
restructuring, it will be possible to update AndroidX libraries in your project
independently. This avoids the problem of updating many Support Library modules
in your project from e.g.
27.0.0 all at once.
If you create a new project using the androidx-packaged dependencies (as
opposed to refactoring an existing project with the Android Studio tool), your
new project needs to target API level 28, and you will need to add the following lines to your
For information about architecture components, see the Architecture components release notes.
1.0.0 alpha 3
(June 6, 2018)
- RecyclerView does not render if two projects with different AndroidX dependencies are open
- Project fails to create and add androidx flags if gradle.properities is not present
- Missing androidx.core.media.MediaMetadataCompat
- Slices are falling over when larger than 64K
- Crash in slice browser
- Unable to migrate App to AppCompact with having androidX dependencies
- Databinding libraries are not updated to androidx
- Cells with large images block rest of cell content
- Incorrect import when refactoring to Androidx
- Slices crashing with NPE in SliceProviderCompat
- Refactor tool error: Should not use a different version (27) than the compileSdkVersion (28)
- Dex merge issues with trying to build refactored project (Android Sunflower)
- AndroidX refactor tool doesn't convert dependencies containing variables
- Espresso Test Recorder does not support androidx dependencies
- NPE in com.example.androidx.slice.demos
- dejetifier flatfoot problems
- androidx.wear has bad dependency on ConstraintLayout libs
- Full loading slices are broken
- After refractoring to androidx adding a new activity is creating with old support code
- dagger-android does not work with jetifier
- Grid templates: Min width of thumbnails for grid row is 1:1 width/height ratio.
- Enforce requiring a primary action on a slice
- Slices for device volume will require setMin on the slider
- Permission slices broken
- Slices needs a new permission system
- Need to allow auto-granting slice perms based on a perm
- Inconsistent sizes in slice
- NullPointerException in FontsContractCompat
1.0.0 alpha 2
(May 25, 2018)
- Fixes an issue with
1.0.0 alpha 1
(May 8, 2018)
Initial alpha release. The package names are subject to change during the alpha period.
- The following libraries are not yet compatible with the AndroidX refactor:
io.fabric.tools:gradle: Requires 1.25.4 or later
- Upgrade to version
2.16 or later forcom.google.dagger:dagger-android` to be compatible with the AndroidX refactor.
- The Android Studio refactor tool incorrectly refactors some classes from the
Workaround: Check and correct your import lines after running the refactor tool.
- After using Android Studio refactor tool, full package name is used for some classes in code even though the package was imported.